By: Lisa Johnson, Esthetics Instructor
Just as the seasons change, so do our trends for makeup. This fall is no exception. From vampy goth looks to natural fresh skin, this fall is all about the artistic side of makeup. Some of the looks are bold but don’t forget that the classic looks are timeless and always in style.
Here are a few of the most popular looks for fall 2012:
Fall faces are in one word “flawless”. Skin should be natural but polished. The look is one of less, but still perfection. It should be slightly contoured, keeping very monochromatic in color. Fresh skin is in!!! (MUA, Amber Bowen)
This fall cheeks are all about a flush of color! Rosy cheeks are back. Just a bit of color on the apples of the cheeks, not the regular contoured blush.
EYE SHADOW –
Eyes are very exciting for the fall. Can we say, Drama Drama Drama? Lots of amazing color! Green, gray, and bright blues are the go to colors. Multi toned with accents of gold make eye shadow a fun way to spice up a look. (MUA, Evony Wells)
If eye color isn’t your cup of tea, you are in luck! Smokey browns are just as in style! Any hue is acceptable from brown to khaki. The key is to make sure that the color is blurred out to give it that smokey appearance. (MUA, Morgan Black)
EYE LINER –
Eyeliner is graphic this fall, bold in shape and in color. Bright blues, greens, and traditional black are the colors seen most on the runway. Liner is angled with sharp lines and big exaggerated curves. It’s all about artistic looks. (MUA, Noelia Boyd, and Morgan Black)
Traditional mascara is always in style. This fall bright blue and green mascara can also be seen to give a pop of color to even a soft makeup look.
Brows are groomed and tamed. Using a pencil and shadow to add color makes any brow stand out. To keep the brows in place it is all about the brow gel. (MUA, Murrell Collins)
Lips are a major focal point this fall. Mulberry, Black Cherry, and Deep Plum are the rage. This vampire inspired look is beautiful, but don’t forget to add blush so you don’t feel and look washed out. It’s a powerful look and should only be worn by the daring. (MUA, Murrell Collins)
By Emmy Downey, Esthetics Instructor
This nut may fall close to the tree but its powers reach far beyond the sand. Smear it, cook with it, eat it – there’s almost nothing it can’t do. We’re talking rich, raw, pure virgin coconut oil – the godly grease that seems to be the hottest thing to drop lately. From the outside in and back again, here are 10 ways to indulge in this tropical multi-tasker:
- Your new favorite moisturizer Comparable to that of mineral oil, coconut oil is a safe, effective moisturizer for all skin types and offers up to 20% UV protection (the actual SPF value is still up for debate so be sure to protect yourself accordingly).
- A split-end hair treatment Ladies, we’re talking natural nutrition for your hair and for the bros with fros, you could give it a go too. Next time your frays are feeling fried, work a bit of coconut oil through your hair to spruce up those dead ends (warning: a little goes a long way!). Apply before bedtime and wash it out in the morning. You’ll be ready to brave your day with soft locks straight from the tropics.
- A natural eye-makeup remover Smear a little bit of coconut oil on a cotton ball and eye makeup be gone! It even works on waterproof mascara after those long days at the beach. Play on sun lovers!
- A kitchen staple Coconut oil won’t burn thanks to its high smoke and boiling point, making it a staple in the kitchen. It can be used to grease pans (and wooden cutting boards too), to cook with and even to replace butter in your baking at a 1-to-1 ratio (it’s a game changer for vegan/gluten-free baking).
- A natural bug repellent Fight off the little fellas by mixing coconut oil with peppermint oil extract. Your skin will thank you; the bugs won’t.
- A twist on a ‘pop’ular snack Mix with butter and toss on your popcorn for a (mostly) healthy snack. Ryan Gosling movie marathon, here we come!
- Lip balm Keep your pucker soft and supple by rubbing a little coconut oil onto your lips. It works as a softening agent and even provides a little bit of sun protection.
- A natural healing agent Applying coconut oil to scrapes and cuts will help create a shield over the wound and protect it from dust, bacteria and viruses. On bruises the oil speeds up the healing process by repairing damaged tissues and on bug bites it keeps itching at bay.
- A fitness and energy boost A spoonful of coconut oil won’t necessarily help the medicine go down (then again it probably could do that tot) but it does serve as a great endurance pick-me-up for athletes and has also been prove to fire up your metabolism.
- Shaving cream Coconut oil lessens irritation on the face and neck, detoxifies skin as you shave, and moisturizes all at once. Also, the oil makes it easier and faster to clear razor blades as they are used.
By Jennifer Hubbard, Esthetics and Nail Instructor
We all have realized over the past few weeks that summer is fading and fall is quickly sneaking up. I have put together a list of Fall Trends to help you stay Fabulous for fall!
A ~ Army Prints
B ~ Bomber Jackets
C ~ Chelsea Boots
D ~ Dots
On clothing and accessories
E ~ Eyebrows
Make these bolder!
F ~ Fall Blazer Coats
G ~ Graphic pants
H ~ High Slits
I ~ Individual Colored Nails
Polish 1 nail different
J ~ Jeans w/a print
Any print! Get crazy!
K ~ Knits
Hats, sweaters & jackets!
L ~ Lace
M ~ Midi Skirts
Just below the knee
N ~ Nike
O ~ Oxford shoes
P ~ Pleather Accents
Q ~ Quirky Accessories
Forks made into bracelets or birds on rings
R ~ Ruffles
S ~ Smoking Slippers
T ~ Tuxedo Pants
U ~ Ultimate 90′s
V ~ Voluminous Hair
W ~ Wine Colored Lips
X ~ X-Body
Cross body Bags
Y ~ Yuppie Style
Z ~ Zoo Prints
Now I hope you can get Fall Fabulous with some of these great ideas!!